Thursday 6 November 2014

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill (Nr 1 in the Chicagoland Vampires Series)


Original title: Some Girls Bite
Year Published: 2009
Published by: Orion Publishing Group
Number of Pages: 341
First Sentence: "At first, I wondered if it was karmic punishment."
Goodreads rating: 4/5

Plot:
They killed me. They healed me. They changed me.

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was mine. I was doing fine until Chicago's vampires announced their existence to the world - and then a rouge vampire attacked me. He only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker... one who decided the best way to save my life was to take it.

Turns out my saviour was the master of Cadogan House. Now I've traded sweating over my thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan 'Lord o`the Manor' Sullivan. Of course as a tall, green-eyed, four hundred year old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he also seems to expect my eternal gratitute - and servitude. Right...

But my burgeoning powers (all of a sudden, I'm surprisingly handy with some serious weaponry), an inconvenient sunlight allergy, and Ethan's attitude are the least of my worries. Someone's out to get me. Is it the rouge vampire who bit me? A vamp from a rival House? An angry mob bearing torches?

My initation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a way - and there's going to be blood...

My thoughts:
I loved this book, and the rest of the series. Merit as the main character is funny, quirky and takes no shit (sorry). She did not ask to be turned into a vampire which she has to keep telling the very handsome Ethan every time he demands gratitude. However, it turns out she's meant to be great at it. Her first steps into the world of vampires is not that gracious. She makes many hilarious mistakes admist all the brilliance she also showcases. It makes it easy to like her. If Chloe Neill had decided to make her brilliant from the start it would have just been annoying. Instead she stumbles and makes mistakes, learning to live a completely whole new life.

Ethan is a douchey douche who is still extremely loveable. Handsome and dreamy, he is the vampire version of Mr Darcy. He is the head of Cadogan House and demands loyalty from all his vamps. Although he is a douche, his vamps love him and would follow him into death (for a second time that is).

Merit's best friend Mallory is awesome. Witty and sarcastic just like Merit, the make up duo that nobody would want to mess with. There is however something about Mallory that is only discovered after Merit is initiated into the world of the Supes.

The book is a mix of fantastic characters and it's impossible to pick a favourite, They all compliment each other and the book is never boring. The plot is interesting and makes you want more.

Do I recommend it?
Yes I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment