Saturday 21 February 2015

The Elder Gods and The Treasured One by David & Leigh Eddings (The Dreamers Books 1 and 2)

IMG_1032
Original Titles: The Elder Gods (Book 1) and The Treasured One (Book 2)
Year Published: 2003 and 2005
Published by: Vision
Number of Pages: Both are 480 pages long.
First Sentence: 
Goodreads ratings:  I rated both as 3/5
Plot:
Somewhere beyond the farthest pole of the world, the land of Dhrall lies anchored by the will of four powerful Gods. Able to bend reality to their whims and influence the lives of mortal men, these deities are still bound by the laws of nature and cannot take lives. Yet the Gods are not the only power. For in the center of Dhrall lives a voracious horror known as the Vlagh. A nightmare made flesh, the Vlagh has bred a massive army of hideous monsters to overrun the world. In the coming battles the people of Dhrall will be aided by a ragtag force of foreign mercenaries and pirates, but the true champions of the war will be four enigmatic children known as the Dreamers. Raised by the Gods themselves, these children can alter the fabric of reality. But, unlike the Elder Gods, the Dreamers do not hesitate to kill...
My thoughts:
I wanted to love these books, I really did. Sadly enough, they were only ok. They were entertaining enough that I did not die with boredom reading them, but I was hit with a feeling of "Is that all?" when I finished. There are four books in the series and I have to be honest and say that I will not read the last two, at least not in the near future. I have no interest and no urge to know what happens to all the characters.
However, there are elements in the book that are more than good. There are characters that you get invested in and start to care for such as Longbow and Rabbit. The plot is not much to brag about, to be honest. There is a war with creatures that resemble insects and a kingdom that faces destruction. In theory, the book could be great with this plot, but in practice it falls like a house of cards in a light breeze. 
On the whole, the book feels uninspired. I loved Eddings books about Polgara, Belgarath and Belgarion, and these books just seem like a washed out version of those books. 
Do I recommend it?
No. 

2 comments: