Saturday 31 January 2015

Ascend by Amanda Hocking (#3 of the Trylle Trilogy)

IMG_0904
Original Title: Ascend          
Year Published: 2012
Published By: St Martin’s Press, New York
Number of Pages: 295
First Sentence: I had my back to the room as I stared out the window.
Goodreads Rating: 4/5
Plot (taken from Goodreads):
Wendy Everly can barely remember what it was like to feel like a normal girl. She'd wished for her life to be different but everything is so much more complicated than she'd expected. And she certainly hadn't dreamt she'd be getting married at 18 to man she didn't love - all for the sake of duty.
My thoughts:
I really liked this book. It was faster paced which enhanced the entertainment value by so much. 
Wendy goes through such an amazing character development which made me actually like her. Before she has appeared as bratty and slightly selfish but she gets redeemed in this final book. She comes to some difficult decisions that only serve to make her stronger in the end. She matures a lot from the first book which I thought was absolutely lovely and brought a lot to the story. Her biggest sacrifice is marrying Tove, who she cares about but does not love. 
Loki continues to prove to both the readers and Wendy that he might seem like a bad guy but in reality he isn't. Wendy continues to be confused over her feelings for Loki, which are both making her giddy and guilty since she is married to another man although she does not love him at all. It doesn't help that Wendy is also still confused over her relationship with Finn.
Finn gives of an air of douchebagedness in this book. Thanks to this, and many of the revelations Wendy has, made me realise why I didn't like the first book. It's the relationship between Wendy and Finn. It's uneven and that's not how a relationship should be.
Tove then. Oh my I love Tove so much. Both he and Wendy sacrifice so much by marrying each other although there is no love between them apart from friendship. It's heartbreaking seeing him slowly breaking under the influence of his own powers. Especially since he really is one of the true good guys in the book. So much love for Tove.
There are of course many other characters that make this book awesome. Elora aso get redeemed in this book, Duncan proves to be awesome just like Willa, and Matt, Rhys and Garret get to be quitely amazing in the background. 
The ending? It's a cliche but it still works. It doesn't take away from the story but I read it and was like: "why does it always have to end like this?". Still good though.
Do I recommend it?
Well, you wouldn't read this book if you hadn't read the two before. But I recommend all of them. It is a great trilogy so go ahead and read them if you haven't already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment