Saturday 28 March 2015

Life's a Witch by Elizabeth A. Reeves (Karma's Witches #1)

18758098
Original Title: Life's a Witch
Year Published: 2013
Published by: BHL Books
Number of Pages: 100
First Sentence: "The night of the eclipse, I wasn’t watching it."
Goodreads Rating: 4/5
Plot:
When life gives you lemons, some would say make lemonade.

Amber knows all about making lemonade. More than she wants to. But what do you do when you discover--out of the clear blue--that you've got a destiny you could have only imagined. 

As a writer, Amber's got quite an imagination--but even she didn't imagine what was to come!

What do you do when a sexy cop seems to be flirting with you? When strange things begin to happen? Strange objects show up? 

What do you do when you discover you're not the only child you'd always believed you were?

Things are about to change drastically for Amber. Sometimes, Life's a Witch!
My thoughts:
I thought this book was going to be really cheesy and no more than b-class. I found myself quite surprised, however. I actually really liked this book. Yes, it is quite short, only a 100 pages, but in those few pages it manages a lot. We actually get character development, something that books that go on for over 500 pages sometimes don't manage to do, and an actual plot which I honestly doubted when I saw how short it was. 
Amber is a 20-year-old, working at a bookshop (hello dream job) and trying hard to overcome the trauma of her past. One night she returns home to find a mysterious book on her coffee table. Through the book, she begins to unravel the mystery of her heritage. Amber is a lovely character and quite easy to like. In fact, apart from the very traumatic past, I did see a bit of myself in her. 
Although this book serves as an introduction to a series it still manages to be a good read. Yes, it is still slightly cheesy and clichey but it doesn't really matter. In fact, it got me really intrigued and I will most definitely read the other two parts. It is a collaboration between three different authors, but if the other two are just as good as Reeves then the other two books will be just as worth reading. 
Do I recommend it? 
Yes, I do. If you want a short but still interesting read than this book is for you. It is a book that although can be seen as a very easy read actually has substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment