Wednesday 10 December 2014

Christmas Countdown - Day 10

A book by a Nobel prize winner

How can we already be on day 10? Time just flies by! Wishing for some snow here in Sweden though, at the moment we've only got rain. We are celebrating Alfred Nobel today here in Sweden, and several of you probably know that the Nobel Prize is being awarded in several categories in our capital city Stockholm as well (just like always). In my house we will have the ceremony and banquet on as background noise for the rest of the evening. Anyway, on to the questions!

I've read books from Pär Lagerkvist (won 1951),  Selma Lagerlöf (won 1909), Rudyard Kipling (1907) and some poetry by W.B. Yeats (won 1923). Considering that the prize has been awarded since 1901 that's very few authors that's won the Nobel Prize that I've read books from. 

If I have to pick one book from these 4 authors I'd have to pick The Jungle Book (1894). The book version of The Jungle Book is a collection of short stories and are in the shape of fables. It has all the elements of the Disney film so a lot is recognizable if you've seen the film. Why did I pick this book? Mostly because I pretty much hated everything I've read from Lagerkvist och Largerlöf, and I've only read a few poems by Yeats. 

How are you celebrating the Nobel Day? 

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment