Monday 1 December 2014

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini


Original Title: The Kite Runner
Year Published: 2003
Published by: Bloomsbury Publishing Plc
Number of Pages: 340
First Sentence: "I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975."
Goodreads rating: 5/5

Plot:
Afghanistan, 1975: Twelve-year-old Amir is desperate to win the local kite-fighting tournament and his loyal friend Hassan promises to help him. But neither of the boys can foresee what will happen to Hassan that afternoon, an event that is to shatter their lives. After the Russian invade and the family is forced to flee to America, Amir realises that one day he must return to Afghanistan under Taliban rule to find the one thing that his new world cannot grant him: redemption.

My thoughts:
I would never have picked this book up if it wasn't required reading for my uni course. and that would have been a damn shame. This is a lovely book. Heartbreaking, but lovely. Its a story about a boy, who throughout his whole life tries to get his fathers attenition and love. Its about a boy and his best friend, and the bond that is friendship. Its about a young boy and him handling the guilt of one event in his past. Its about a boy growing up to be a man, and dealing with all the things he is scared of.

It is a fantastic story with many heartbreaking moments, events that make you want to hide away, and scenes of love wheter its between friends, family or lovers. Its a heartbreaking tale of Afghanistan and its demise. The young man grows up in a beautiful safe Kabul, the man returns to a Kabul ruined by war. It is an intense story that capitvates you, and manages to pull on every single heartstring.

I don't normally cry when reading books but I found myself having tears in my eyes many times whilst reading this book.

Do I recommend it?
Yes, I really do. It's not a light read, it wont make you warm and happy. But it is a story everyone should read, and it's written in a captivating way.

No comments:

Post a Comment