Thursday 4 December 2014

Christmas countdown - Day 4

Talk about translations. What language do you read in? A good or bad translation?

I read in both Swedish and English since that's the two languages I know. I mostly read in English though since most of the books and genres I'm interested in are dominated by English speaking authors. I read more in Swedish when I was younger, but as I've grown older and more confident with my English, I now prefer English. The English language is so much more and usually translations from English to Swedish lose a lot of depth and meaning. 

I haven't re-read that many of the books that I originally read in Swedish that were originally written in English, so I can't really rate the translations. I did read the first three Harry Potter books in Swedish and the language as far as I can remember was good. Like I said, I have not re-read them in English so I can't really rate the translation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment