Sunday 7 December 2014

Christmas Countdown - Day 7

A fairy tale. Classic or modern interpretation.

The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen
Let's start with the modern interpretation, which I consider the Disney version to be. I absolutely adore the music in The Little Mermaid, and that's why it's one of my favourites. I also love the story, the idea that love conquers all. Sebastian is probably one of my favourite characthers of all time in a Disney film. Everything ends happy and the Little Mermaid gets her prince. 

Ironically the classic Brother's Grimm verions is not as romantic and happy. Here the Little Mermaid isn't as lucky. The prince fall in love with someone else, our heroine has to kill him in order to return to the sea and cannot do it and instead turns into seafoam. Not to mention the fact that every single step she takes on her human legs is extremely painful. However, I like this version as well. The LM is redeemed at the end and turned into a spirit because she took the moral highground and did not take the selfish way out which would have ment killing the prince. 

That's my answer for day 7. What is your favourie fairy tale?

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment